How to Deal With Pregnancy Insomnia
Pregnancy causes a lot of changes to your body. One of these changes can be insomnia, which, defined, is the perception of inadequate sleep or lack of quality sleep during the night. In order to understand how to deal with pregnancy insomnia, it is important to identify its causes and then to highlight ways to cope.
Pregnancy-induced insomnia can be caused by any of the following:
- Back pain or other body aches associated with your growing belly
- Having to wake up frequently to urinate
- Feelings of anxiety or anticipation
- Hormonal changes
- Vivid, “strange” dreams
Ways to Cope
- Avoid consuming caffeine or spicy foods, as they may trigger heartburn.
- Engage in a soothing ritual before bed. Whether it’s taking a warm bath, enjoying a cup of herbal tea, listening to soft music, or having your partner give you a massage, find something that helps you feel calm and peaceful before bedtime.
- Use a pregnancy pillow to help you get into a more comfortable sleeping position.
- Try relaxation techniques like meditation or breathing exercises to help calm your mind and body.
- When possible, try to nap during the day to make up for any lost sleep and to help rest your body.
- Try exercising during the day.
- If you are struggling to sleep and are finding it upsetting, try getting up and reading a book or having a glass of warm milk.
And, if you have tried all of these things and are still having a hard time falling asleep, please consult your health care provider. She may prescribe medication or have other ideas on how to deal with your pregnancy insomnia, so never hesitate to ask!
Products in this Article
The Smart Sock comfortably wraps around your baby’s foot to track heart rate and oxygen levels using clinically-proven pulse oximetry. The base station glows green to let you know everything is okay but will notify with lights and sounds if something appears to be wrong.
National Napping Day – 5 Naptime Hacks for New Moms
Did you know that National Napping Day is a thing? I, for one, am thrilled. (Now, if only my children would cooperate.) I remember those first days of having a newborn and not getting a lot of sleep. So today, in honor of National Napping Day, I’m sharing five naptime hacks for new moms. Here’s…
4 Questions to Ask Before Buying a Baby Product
As we continue to honor Baby Safety month, we have compiled a list of safety questions you should ask before purchasing a baby product. With so many baby products available, you’ll want the knowledge to make the best decision for purchasing. Here are four questions to ask. Has there been a recall on the product?…