Hospital Bag Essentials
April 4, 2017
So it’s almost time to have your baby. Have you packed your hospital bag yet? If you’re like me, you’re probably thinking you have tons of time to do so before baby comes. But you never know when baby might make her arrival, so it’s better to err on the side of caution and prepare early. Incorporating my experience of having two kids, and polling a bunch of mamas, here is a list of hospital bag essentials to help make packing easier.
- ID and insurance card – even if you pre-registered, it’s still a good idea.
- Comfy clothes to wear in the hospital – think nightgowns and/or tops that are nursing-friendly, robes, slippers or slipper socks, and maybe even your own hospital gown. Don’t forget to pack a loose, comfortable outfit for you to go home from the hospital in.
- A comfort item from home, like your pillow or a blanket.
- A great nursing bra and nursing pads, like these or these.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste and floss.
- Face wash and moisturizer.
- Contacts and/or glasses, if needed.
- Shampoo, conditioner and body wash.
- Hair ties and hairbrush.
- Body lotion and nipple cream, if you’re planning to nurse.
- Makeup (including chapstick!), and any other beauty products that make you feel comfortable.
- Camera, phone, iPad or computer (for watching movies) and their respective chargers. Also, headphones for listening to music or labor affirmations.
- Books or magazines – especially if you’re planning on having an epidural, these are a great way to relax before baby comes.
- Your favorite snacks. (And your partner’s, or whoever else is present at the birth.)
- 2-3 Swaddling blankets – these are my favorite.
- 2-3 outfits or jammies (if you want to dress your baby in the hospital), plus a going home outfit, plus a few onesies.
- Hats, hand covers and socks, if wanted.
- Pacifiers, if you want to use a different brand than what is provided at the hospital.
- Car seat (for going home) and car seat cover. I love this cover because it can also be a nursing cover.
Is there anything you packed that we missed? What are your hospital bag essentials?
Products in this Article
The Smart Sock is the first baby monitor to track your baby’s oxygen level and heart rate—good indicators of Baby's overall well-being—while they sleep. If your baby’s readings leave preset zones, you'll receive a notification that lets you know your baby really needs you. Now you can feel more confidence, more freedom, and more peace of mind knowing that Owlet is here to help.
Our all-new Smart Sock is the third of its kind and it's smarter than ever.
36 Weeks Survival Guide
March 12, 2015
You’re in the home-stretch. (Me too!) Only 4 weeks to go (or, could it be earlier than the due-date?!)! Doctor appointments should be weekly, as you and baby both gear up for labor. While you wait anxiously for the weeks to pass, here’s a suggested Survival Guide to get you through the rest of your…
10 Ways for Dads to Bond with their Newborns
March 17, 2015
Listen up all you dads! This post is written just for you. For all the moms reading, this post is all about helping your husband bond with your newborn, so feel free to share this useful information with him! Whether this is your first baby, fourth, fifth or even sixth, it is very important…