Ensuring a Safe Sleep Environment
August 27, 2020
Bringing a new little one into this world is an amazing experience you’ll never forget. As your little one grows, one of the biggest jobs you have as a parent is keeping that new baby of yours safe and providing them with a safe sleep environment.
In an effort to reduce the risks of sleep-related infant deaths and incidents, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has established safe sleep guidelines that parents should follow to keep their baby safe when sleeping. These guidelines include:
- Following the ABCs of safe sleep: Placing baby Alone, on his/her Back, in his/her Crib (or other safe sleeping place).
- In following this advice, do not place any soft bedding including loose blankets or pillows, stuffed animals, or other soft objects in your baby’s sleeping area. This also includes crib bumper pads.
- Your baby should sleep on a firm mattress that does not conform to his/her head shape, and should not be placed to sleep on a regular bed, couch, or other soft surface that could contour to his/her body and create a risk of accidental suffocation. AAP recommends using a firm mattress with a tightly fitted sheet only.
- Consider room-sharing with your baby, but not bed-sharing. The AAP recommends doing this for at least the first 6 months and optimally, for the first year of life.
- Keep your baby at a comfortable temperature to avoid overheating. Dress him/her in appropriate clothing that does not cover the face or head. Consider using a safe wearable blanket, like a sleep sack.
- Avoid the use of wedges or positioners.
How will you ensure a safe sleep environment for your little one?
Products in this Article
The Smart Sock is the first baby monitor to track your baby’s oxygen level and heart rate—good indicators of Baby's overall well-being—while they sleep. If your baby’s readings leave preset zones, you'll receive a notification that lets you know your baby really needs you. Now you can feel more confidence, more freedom, and more peace of mind knowing that Owlet is here to help.
Our all-new Smart Sock is the third of its kind and it's smarter than ever.
36 Weeks Survival Guide
March 12, 2015
You’re in the home-stretch. (Me too!) Only 4 weeks to go (or, could it be earlier than the due-date?!)! Doctor appointments should be weekly, as you and baby both gear up for labor. While you wait anxiously for the weeks to pass, here’s a suggested Survival Guide to get you through the rest of your…
10 Ways for Dads to Bond with their Newborns
March 17, 2015
Listen up all you dads! This post is written just for you. For all the moms reading, this post is all about helping your husband bond with your newborn, so feel free to share this useful information with him! Whether this is your first baby, fourth, fifth or even sixth, it is very important…