Ensuring a Safe Sleep Environment
October 11, 2021
Bringing a new little one into this world is an amazing experience you’ll never forget. As your little one grows, one of the biggest jobs you have as a parent is keeping that new baby of yours safe and providing them with a safe sleep environment.
In an effort to reduce the risks of sleep-related infant deaths and incidents, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) has established safe sleep guidelines that parents should follow to keep their baby safe when sleeping. The guidelines for safe sleep environment include:
- Following the ABCs of safe sleep: place Baby Alone, on their Back, in their Crib (or other safe sleeping place).
- Do not place any soft bedding in your baby’s sleep area. This includes loose blankets or pillows, stuffed animals, or other soft objects. This also includes crib bumper pads, which are not conducive to a safe sleeping environment for babies.
- Your baby should sleep on a firm mattress that does not conform to their head shape, and should not be placed to sleep on a regular bed, couch, or other soft surface that could contour to their body and create a risk of accidental suffocation. AAP recommends using a firm mattress with a tightly fitted sheet only.
- Consider room-sharing with your baby, but not bed-sharing. The AAP recommends doing this for at least the first 6 months and optimally, for the first year of your baby’s life.
- Keep your baby at a comfortable temperature to avoid overheating. Dress your baby in appropriate clothing that does not cover their face or head. Consider using a safe wearable blanket, like a sleep sack.
- Avoid the use of wedges or positioners.
How will you ensure a safe sleeping environment for your little one?
Products in this Article
36 Weeks Survival Guide
March 12, 2015
You’re in the home-stretch. (Me too!) Only 4 weeks to go (or, could it be earlier than the due-date?!)! Doctor appointments should be weekly, as you and baby both gear up for labor. While you wait anxiously for the weeks to pass, here’s a suggested Survival Guide to get you through the rest of your…
10 Ways for Dads to Bond with their Newborns
March 17, 2015
Listen up all you dads! This post is written just for you. For all the moms reading, this post is all about helping your husband bond with your newborn, so feel free to share this useful information with him! Whether this is your first baby, fourth, fifth or even sixth, it is very important…